Monday, November 10, 2014

The Fourth Little Week...

This week started with frighteningly low water levels. This lead to some half-dried half-dead organisms scattered along the top part of the slide. I was worried that all my water would be gone before the experiment ended. Luckily, this was righted and my worries were dashed at the end of my observations when we all were allowed to insert more water into the slide. The plants continue to grow, so much so that in some parts of my little ecosystem, it's almost impossible to focus on the organisms feeding off them. 
Well, I was correct about the development of the Rotifers. They are all over the place, and exceedingly entertaining to watch. The way they move is interesting, and since their bodies are basically transparent, it's very interesting to watch them eat, since you can see everything that goes into their bodies and where it goes. The particular type I've found is Euchlanis dialatata. (Pennak, 171 figure 2)
Rotifer Euchlanis dialatata (Pennak, 171 figure 2)
However, I was wrong in my other assumptions. What I've found is Cyclidium (Patterson, 149) And let me tell ya, they are all over the place. Last week, I started to see them growing in numbers, but boy was I unprepared for what I saw this time. They were swarming all over the MicroAquarium.
Cyclidium (Patterson, 149, figure 332)
And just to show a very small fraction of how many there are in the aquarium, I've also made a video at a very low power to show how insane they are swimming around in there.

Cyclidium (Patterson, 149, figure 332)
Next week, I intend to look closer to the soil at the base of the slide to find out what's happening down there, and to escape the ever-growing plants. 

No comments:

Post a Comment