Monday, November 3, 2014

Third Time's the Charm

            On the fateful day of  October 24, 2014 a pellet of  "Atison's Betta Food" was inserted into my little aquarium. This particular pellet was made by Ocean Nutrition, Aqua Pet Americas, 3528 West 500 South, Salt Lake City, UT 84104. Ingredients: Fish meal, wheat flower, soy meal, krill meal, minerals, vitamins and preservatives. ANALYSIS: Crude Protein 36%; Crude fat 4.5%; Crude Fiber 3.5%; Moisture 8% and Ash 15%
           Surprisingly, even with this new development, the growth in the animal life was slightly disappointing, The growth of both the Amblestegium varium and the Utricularia gibba (McFarland, 2014) was a much more substantial and noticeable difference than that of the organisms that actually feed on the plants themselves. So much so that the new, tubular-type roots growing from the plants made it a bit more difficult to see.
            With that said, I made sure to check up on the organisms I had already found and made notes on. The Nematode population is increasing at what appears to be at a normal rate, as I found several different juveniles swimming around with the adults, however I never found any deceased. I know there weren't that many to begin with, I still find it strange. I've yet to understand whether they just haven't died yet, or they have already been "disposed of" by other organisms; or if there are other, predator nematodes in my little ecosystem I haven't found yet.
            The Limnais sp. and Scantor population seems to have dwindled since I made note of it last week. This may be because of the growth of the plants make the existing life there seem smaller, or because of the growth of other microorganisms. On that note, some newer organisms appear to be Gastrotrichs, Rotifers, and Euplotes sp. Pictures and videos on these with further inspection will follow next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment